Young Agrarians is seeking a dynamic and motivated contractor to build our young and new farmer network in the Columbia Basin/Kootenays!
ABOUT YOUNG AGRARIANS
Young Agrarians (YA), a partnership with FarmFolk CityFolk Society, is focused on growing the next generation of ecological farmers in BC and Canada. YA is a collaborative network strategy to engage and support new and potential entrants in/to agriculture. YA’s main program activities are: 1) on-line outreach and resource sharing, 2) on and off farm educational events, 3) business mentorships and 4) land access programming.
COLUMBIA BASIN COORDINATOR: CONTRACT DESCRIPTION
We are looking for a dynamic individual to support network growth in the region and work with new and young farmers by coordinating events and outreach activities. YA is ideally looking for someone with farming and / or food systems experience. This position will be supported by the YA team and supervised by the YA BC Program Manager. If the chosen candidate has fundraising experience, there is the potential for this contract to expand in scope.
MAIN CONTRACT ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate eight to ten YA on-farm events and workshops across the Columbia Basin region including one Winter Land Link (bringing together land owners with people looking for land);
- Work with the Kootenay & Boundary Farm Advisors to coordinate technical extension and knowledge transfer workshops on farms.
- Update the YA UMAP 2014-15 Columbia Basin data to 2018.
- Develop a minimum of ten to fifteen blog posts advertising events and opportunities in the region, such as jobs, apprenticeships and land.
- Create content to share on social media channels.
- Facilitate ten to fifteen regional press and media hits.
- Grow the Columbia Basin area email list.
- Recruit two new farms in start-up to participate in the Young Agrarians Business Mentorship program, and help source potential business mentors in the area.
- Promote the Basin region as a potential destination for new and young farmers!
- Proven track record coordinating events, working with volunteers and delivering within budget;
- Joy and ease outreaching and engaging multi-stakeholders;
- Farm/er Literate: minimum 2 years of experience in sustainable / ecological / organic agriculture and / or food production;
- Working proficiency and creative capacity to develop press, wordpress content, mailchimp email out’s and social media postings;
- High personal motivation, self-management and detail-orientation;
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct supervision;
- Experience fundraising an asset;
- Excellent outreach, communications, relationship and community-building skills.
Deadline for applicants: May 15, 2018
Contract Dates: June 2018 – February 2019 (timeline negotiable)
Contract Amount: $10,000 (400hrs @ $25/hr)
Please include “Columbia Basin YA Contract” in the email subject line.
Email a single attachment saved with your first and last name as the file name with a one page cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
This contract position has been made possible with the generous support of Columbia Basin Trust.