CONTRACT POSITION: Are you a born storyteller who can plant a seed with a sentence? Do you dream up creative ideas, and live for sharing them with the world? Can you think big picture, then bring your vision to life through language and images? Are you always up on the latest trends in social media? Can you multi-task multiple memes and campaigns, to create meaningful engagement with audiences?
If you’re a communications whiz with farming in your heart, Young Agrarians is looking for you! We are seeking a dynamic person capable of taking a leadership role to tell the story of new and young farmers in B.C. The primary focus of this position will be to coordinate communications activities in support of Young Agrarians programming.
This position will be supervised by the Young Agrarians B.C. Program Director. Pending funding, the ideal candidate will be able to continue to work with Young Agrarians on a longer-term basis.
Application Deadline: 5pm, Friday, October 19, 2018
About Young Agrarians:
Young Agrarians (YA), a partnership in British Columbia with FarmFolk CityFolk Society, is a farmer2farmer resource network for new and young entrants into agriculture. YA supports the next generation to take up the art and science of farming. YA runs four main programs: 1) online resource aggregation and opportunities sharing platform, 2) educational and networking events on and off farms, 3) land access programming, and 4) business mentorship.
Location: This is a remote position. Candidate must have home office with reliable Internet and phone service.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement results-driven strategic communications projects and initiatives to support and advance Young Agrarians programming.
- Coordinate communications activities including: social media campaigns, blogs, and mailchimp campaigns.
- Increase visibility of the organization through effective online communications.
- Develop engaging messaging and effective storytelling approaches.
- Manage Young Agrarians social media community across channels, including coordinating scheduling, posting and evaluating engagement, as well as responding to inquiries.
- Copy edit and proofread all outgoing communications materials.
- Engage and utilize the youngagrarians.org wordpress blog to share content, resources, opportunities, and press coverage.
- Design, develop and implement strategies to evaluate communications activities to analyze effectiveness, update strategy, and support project reporting to funders.
- Develop press releases for particular media outlets and audience segments.
- Identify key media outlets and journalists and maintain press contact lists.
- Experience working with organizations (for profit or non-profit).
- Joy and ease in communication, outreach and stakeholder engagement.
- Farm literate: experience in diversified sustainable / ecological / organic agriculture.
- Ability to think strategically about outreach and communications to support multiple program deliverables.
- Ability to craft compelling, engaging copy that drives traffic.
- Demonstrated effective social media management, and up to date on best practices.
- Ability to work with metrics and tell stories with data.
- High personal motivation, timeline and self-management, as well as attention paid to detail.
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct day-to-day supervision.
- Excellent administration, documentation, outreach, communications, relationship and community-building skills.
- Working proficiency with online platforms and social media channels: Google Drive, WordPress, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and social media channels.
- Experience with SEO an asset.
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, or other graphic design tools an asset.
- Must have computer and home office.
Contract Timeline: Contract to begin ASAP and run until March 30, 2019 with potential for renewal.
Contract Amount: $25/hr, @ 25-30 hours a week.
Young Agrarians embraces diversity, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter c/o Sara Dent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “YA Communications Coordinator” and your full name in the email subject line. Email a single PDF document saved with your first and last name as the file name including a one page cover letter and resume. No phone inquiries please.