ABOUT SALIX AND SEDGE
Salix and Sedge is a certified organic farm located in the Salmo Valley, and is owned and operated by Brendan and Cali who began farming in 2015. On about 1.5 acres of land, we produce a large variety of vegetables for our Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program, the Farmers Market, and for some local retailers.
Our farm is situated next to a forested wetland ecosystem, and is just on the edge of town. We use a lot of hand tools on the farm, a BCS walk behind tractor, and occasionally a larger yanmar tractor.
Salix and Sedge is certified organic through the Kootenay organic growers society. Our mission is to grow nutritious, high quality food for our community while maintaining the great diversity of our farm-wetland ecosystem. We farm on a small scale and try to be as efficient with our space as possible, using techniques modeled by farmers such as Jean Martin Fortier and Ben Hartman.
We are looking for a student to work alongside us this season to help us manage our growing farm operation.
The student must have been a full-time student over the 2017-18 academic year and be returning to full-time studies in the fall of 2018, be legally entitled to work in Canada, and be aged 15 or older prior to the employment start date.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with farm managers, and ask questions when a task is unclear
- Must have weather and task appropriate clothing (work gloves will be provided. Rain gear, rubber boots, sun protection, and light, breathable clothing are essential and must be provided by the employee)
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to follow directions well, multi-task, and employ problem solving skills
- Must be physically fit and capable of working full days outdoors in all weather conditions
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in farming and an interest in continuing in this field
- It is an asset for the applicant to be pursuing an education in an agricultural field
- Preparing soil for planting (ex. spreading amendments, loosening the soil, making raised beds)
- Planting seeds and transplants
- Weeding, watering, and cultivating
- Monitoring plant development and pest/disease pressure (keeping records and intervening with pest management strategies when necessary)
- Harvesting vegetables
- Preparing produce for market (ex. washing, trimming, packing, labeling)
- Record keeping
- Assisting with construction of infrastructure (ex. tunnels for heat and frost sensitive plants, fencing)
- making potting soil
- assisting with CSA and Farmers Market preparation when necessary (ex. setting up tables/booths, making signage, writing newsletters)
- Using and maintaining small equipment (ex. Walk-behind tractor, seeder, mower)
- 14 weeks, beginning late April/early May.
- 40 hour work week
- $14 per hour
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find Salix and Sedge on Facebook