Employer: Our Little Farm / www.ourlittlefarm.ca
Location: Lochaber-Partie-Ouest (Outaouais), Quebec (about 40 min. from Ottawa)
Job Description: Ever thought about being a farmer? Here’s a job that will help you gain valuable experience on a farm. Under the supervision of the farmer and the production manager, you will help us produce over 35 different types of organic vegetables and participate in many aspects of running a farm, such as:
- Harvest: picking, washing and packing vegetables for our CSA boxes.
- Greenhouse: preparation of seeding mix, seeding and potting up.
- Field: transplanting, weeding, pruning, irrigation and pest control.
- Machinery Operation: Tractor and implement utilisation (training provided).
Eligibility for Career Focus Program (must meet all criteria)
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Be unemployed or under-employed.
- Have graduated in the last three calendar years from an agriculture-related program in a university, college or CEGEP; or a provincial program focusing on biological, agricultural and veterinary science or applied technology.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Belief in the values of organic agriculture.
- Ability to work fast and a drive to improve efficiency.
- Good physical condition. Ability to work well with others.
- Ease with the public.
- Bilingualism is an asset but not required.
- Driver’s license is an asset but not required.
- A good attitude and sense of humour.
- Start/End Date: 29 weeks, early April to end of October (there is flexibility with these dates)
- Work Schedule: 40-44 hours/week: Monday to Friday, and occasional weekend events
- Wage: $10.55/hour, minus source deductions (EI, QPP, QPIP, etc.)
- Lodging Housing is now available on the farm! We charge $60 (hydro and internet included) per week for a room in the farm house. You are responsible for your own groceries. We are two kms from Thurso, where there is access to grocery stores and other services. We provide a bicycle and can also arrange the occasional ride to Buckingham in order to access the transit system that connects to downtown Ottawa and Gatineau.
About Us: Our Little Farm is a young & dynamic farm that grows 35 different types of local, certified organic vegetables. We offer organic vegetable baskets (Community Supported Agriculture) in Gatineau and Ottawa. We also believe that the best way for someone to become a farmer is to work on a farm. That’s why we seek to offer a stimulating experience and aim to share our knowledge as much as possible. We work fast, laugh a lot and love what we do!
We are an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Send your cover letter and resumé in PDF format to Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review resumes as we receive them and usually do interviews via video conference. Only suitable candidates will be contacted.