The Certified Organic Associations of BC (COABC) is seeking someone passionate about communications and organic food for the role of Communications Coordinator. This role is ideal for someone with existing media relationships and PR experience who can dive headfirst into sharing the story of organic in BC! The communications coordinator will communicate and promote the work and mandate of the COABC and organic both within the sector and to consumers.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Ability to be proactive to support the needs of COABC team members and organic community
- Ability to take responsibility to meet deadlines and make progress without direct day-to-day supervision
- Established network of media contacts related to agriculture/organics
- Demonstration of effective social media engagement
- Strong written communication skills, with excellent grammar and spelling
- Familiarity with online platforms: Google Drive, WordPress, Mailchimp, and social media channels
- Experience working with a non-profit
- Familiarity with organic farming practices and BC’s organic sector is an asset
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills
- Flexibility and team player
- Self-motivated and ability to take direction
- Sense of humour
- Must have computer and home office
Communications Role & Responsibilities:
- Generate positive awareness of the COABC, Organic Week and organic, through media relations as measured through print, online and broadcast media stories, in mainstream and specialized (i.e. organics or farming focused) media
- Increase visibility of the organization through effective online communications as measured through increased web traffic, social media contacts, etc.
- Develop messaging and effective storytelling approaches for the upcoming events that will attract and hold audience attention
- Identify key media outlets and journalists and maintaining press contact list
- Develop press releases for particular media outlets and audience segments
- Develop speaking points around key messages and sector issues
- Coordinate development of Communications Advisory and foster sector “spokespeople” within COABC community for media interviews
- Investigate potential paid media and sponsorship/community partnership opportunities
- Pitch interviews with key members of COABC community on topical issues in agriculture/organics
- Implement social media campaigns and manage social media channels
Start date: Nov 1, 2018
Approximately 8 hours per week at $35/ hour
Please respond with a cover letter, a resume and 3 references to Jen Gamble, COABC Executive Director of Operations via email to: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is Oct 15, 2018. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.