Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society is hiring a Schoolyard Farm Worker to help steward market gardens on school grounds in Vancouver, BC.
Application Deadline: April 17, 2017
Good Food For All
Everyone should have access to healthy food, soil, and community. We enact this vision by cultivating engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration. Fresh Roots stewards two 1⁄4 acre schoolyard market gardens on school grounds in the heart of East and South Vancouver. The food we grow is eaten in local school cafeterias and by neighbours. Our fields are hands-on learning classrooms; engaging school communities and residents of Vancouver in addressing food security, community health, and vocational skills development.
- Must meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements.
- Minimum 1 year growing experience in small-scale agricultural production
- Physically fit and happy to work outdoors in all conditions
- Comfortable with spreadsheets, email communication, and record keeping
- Experience leading co-workers and volunteers in farming activities
- Able to work with a team and independently
- Able to communicate with diplomacy and respect with all people
- Have a valid class 5 driver’s license and comfortable driving a vehicle
- Have a smart phone and access to a computer
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Position begins May 1, 2017 and August 31, 2017
- 40 hours per week for 16 weeks
- $13.94/hr – $15/hr
The Schoolyard Farm Worker is a full time seasonal position funded through Canada Summer Jobs. We’re looking for the right people to help us Grow Good Food For All. You will work under the supervision of our Farm Manager to ensure our schoolyard farms are productive and welcoming spaces. You will provide leadership to Farm Interns and volunteers to complete daily tasks on the farm. You are a keen gardener already and feel comfortable working outside through the summer. Together you’ll help to sell the produce you’re growing at the local farmer’s market. In all, you’ll grow a stupendous garden and get it ready for the school year to come!
How to Apply
E-mail a short cover letter (500 words) and resume (in one document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the name of the job position in the subject.
Applications must be received no later than April 17, 2017. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately upon reception. We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.