Zaklan Heritage Farm is a small mixed vegetable farm hiring one or two full-time (35-40 hours a week) employees and one part-time (16-24 hrs a week) position. Please state your preference in your cover letter for full or part-time employment.
ABOUT ZAKLAN HERITAGE FARM
Zaklan Heritage farm is a small (1.5 acre) mixed vegetable farm situated in the heart of Canada’s fastest growing city- Surrey, BC. The farm is run by Gemma and Doug, who started the operation in 2013. We produce a wide range of vegetables using sustainable practices and ecologically friendly growing methods. We rely on small machinery and hand tools to do the majority of our work. We use a variety of marketing channels to sell our produce within the Greater Vancouver Regional District, including restaurants. We are looking for someone with an interest in learning about small scale agriculture, a good work ethic and enjoys getting dirty and working hard. We have been farming for over 8 seasons and are happy to share the knowledge we have gained during this time with our employees. More information about our farm can be found at: www.zaklanheritagefarm.com
This position is full-time from May-October. There is potential for part-time hours in April and November. The full-time position would work roughly 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (35-40 hours a week sometimes more during peak season).
You will work alongside us during the season with tasks such as weeding; bed prep, transplanting, seeding, harvesting, packing for orders and other daily jobs at the farm. There is a possibility that this position will also be involved in a farmers market once a week.
This position is part-time (16-24 hours a week) from May-September. The part-time position would be for work two days a week on our peak harvest days, with the potential of an additional day depending on work load and seasonality.
This role is primarily as a harvest, washing, and packing assistant. There will be additional field tasks required depending on the season.
We are looking for an employee who has at least 1 year of previous experience farming, has a good work ethic, isn’t afraid of hard physical work for weeks on end, and is willing to work in all weather. We are looking for someone who can work in a team as well as independently and can be self motivated when it comes to completing tasks. There is opportunity for leadership roles with respect to tasks on the farm and working with volunteers. We are looking for someone who is able to work on weekends. Candidates need to be flexible and willing to adapt to changing schedules and plans as things shift though the season.
The successful candidate should have the following
- Commitment to farming in a sustainable manner using ecologically sound growing practices
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg
- Ability to work fast and smart and take and give direction with a positive and constructive attitude.
- Strong prioritizing and time management skills
- Attention to detail and quality
- Ability to follow and carry out detailed instructions
- Ability to operate a tractor
- Holds a valid BC driver’s license
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work both in a team and individually
- Minimum 1 year experience working on a farm
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience in sustainable agriculture to Gemma McNeill at email@example.com.
Please specify your interest in the following in your application:
- Full or part-time position
- On-farming housing
- Ability to work weekends (mainly Saturdays)
- Age- we have access to some wage subsidies through a federal program. This program is dependent on participant’s age.
Deadline: January 15, 2018
SALARY & WAGES
Part-time: hourly, $11.35/hour.
Full-time: This is a salaried position. Compensation is based on the successful candidate’s experience, level of responsibility and qualification for additional funding. Please note there is an option for on-farm housing with this position.
Placement dates: April-October 2018, dates dependent on weather and need