The Demitasse Market Garden at Roundhouse Farm in Victoria, BC is looking to hire someone part-time (16 hrs/week) to assist the farm manager with crop production and harvesting.
About Demitasse Market Garden at Roundhouse Farm
The market garden at Roundhouse Farm is a small-scale farm to table operation, supplying produce primarily to Demitasse Cafe in Oak Bay. We grow a mix of fruit and vegetable crops, including salad greens, tomatoes, brassicas, root crops, herbs, and berries as well as vegetable and flower seedlings. We use a low/no-til raised bed, high rotation growing system. The farm is located near the Victoria General Hospital and is \a 40 minute bike ride on the Galloping Goose or 20 minute drive from downtown Victoria.
The Job Description
The Market-garden assistant will be working under the direction of the farm manager on crop production, harvesting and other farm tasks as needed. The primary area of focus will be on bed preparation, planting, maintenance, harvesting and processing of salad greens and other crops as the season demands.
We are looking for someone with a strong interest in learning about growing produce for market. While this is not a full farm apprenticeship, we see this as an entry-level internship for those wanting get a start in small-scale market farming. The farm manager has 20 years experience growing food, including 7 years growing for market and loves to share their knowledge with those who want to start a career in agriculture.
- This is an entry level position. No prior farm experience is required, however, experience growing food, wwoofing, or working on a farm are all highly beneficial.
- Prefer someone with experience in manual labour and/or gardening.
- Must be physically fit and capable of hard physical work outdoors in all weather (frost, rain, wind, heat).
- Must work quickly and efficiently.
- Must listen and take direction well.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and work in tight spaces.
- Already lives within commuting distance of the farm. There are no accommodations available at the farm.
- Must be committed to the entire season (End of March until October)
- The hours will be negotiated during the interview and those hours will be consistent throughout the season.
- 16 hours/week.
- Must be eligible for work in Canada.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a first come first served basis. The job starts immediately. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted and invited to tour the farm. Please send an email with a summary of your qualifications, availability and phone number to: email@example.com