ABOUT SQUARE ROOT FARM
Square Root is north of Victoria in Central Saanich on about two acres of rented land in the beautiful Mount Newton Valley. Three other farms operate on the same property so it’s often busy with people and activity. Most of our work is done by hand with care and precision, but tractors and other equipment do some of the heavy lifting. We grow all kinds of vegetables just about year-round, but stay out of the fields when the soil becomes too wet between November and May. Our farm is small, but we concentrate on efficient production of a steady supply of veggies so our days are often busy and fast-moving to keep up with our schedule. We sell at a weekend farmers’ market, to a local farmers’ marketing cooperative, and to several local restaurants.
We started farming in 2005, inspired to grow food using ecological and organic techniques. Our farm is entering it’s 12th season of production. We are certified-organic and much of our growing techniques were developed to fit our small farm footprint.
We’re looking for an applicant who has at least one season of related experience and has an easy time working as part of a team: we work closely together and we’re all trying to get the job done well! We want to work with someone who:
- can work hard in any weather
- is self-directed
- can commit to helping for the full season
- has an energetic, fun, motivated personality
- has an excellent work ethic and a positive attitude
- is flexible and who wants to learn new methods and farm systems
As part of the team your duties will include but are not limited to:
- picking and bunching crops to order
- washing and packaging vegetables for market and restaurants
- seeding and planting crops out into the soil
- weeding by hand and with hoes
- seeding vegetables in the greenhouse
Start: early May through September
Hours: 24 hours/week (3x8hr days) Monday, Thursday and Friday
Wage: $12-14, doe plus access to vegetables
Contact: Chrystal and Ilya at email@example.com
Please send us a resume outlining your experience along with a note telling us why you want to work on the farm.