Richmond Food Security Society (RFSS) is inspiring a robust Richmond food system through education, advocacy, and community building initiatives.
We are a small team of staff supported by many volunteers all passionate about urban agriculture and food security. We live the values of the Richmond Food Charter, we courageously engage our community to address challenges, we grow community and have fun doing it, and we inspire long term, tangible, systemic results. We are an equal opportunity organization, and will not discriminate on any basis.
We are seeking an Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator to join our team for the long term. The successful candidate will start by learning and enhancing core operations of current programs including Community Gardens, Fruit Recovery, and Seed Library. There is significant growth potential in this role, and the opportunity to be involved in the planning, design, and implementation of significant new projects and programs such as Kids in the Garden programming for schools, The Garden City Lands Agricultural Park, and the development of new community garden sites.
The successful candidate will report to the Executive Director, and be passionate about urban agriculture, exceptionally organized, and a real people person with a solid science and gardening background.
Coordinate the Richmond Community Gardens program, including:
- maintaining garden plot registration and waitlist
- ensuring community gardens comply with relevant municipal environmental, and pesticide use bylaws
- providing knowledge and resources to over 300 gardeners on organic food production, soil science, integrated pest management, biodiversity, and plant selection
Coordinate the Richmond Community Seed Library program, including:
- Planning, planting, and maintaining a demonstration seed saving garden, including tracking detailed crop data such as growing conditions, isolation distances, pollination status, and genetic history
- attending community events to raise awareness and engagement in Seed Saving
providing knowledge and resources about seed saving to members
- curating locally adapted species for the library
- ensuring seeds are stored, labelled, and maintained correctly, including conducting germination tests to ensure viability of seeds in library
- communicate about projects and programs through social media, website, and print
- coordinate and possibly leading workshops and events
- liaise with a wide range of stakeholders including city staff and officials, community centres, nonprofits, and other partners
- keep organized and thorough operational records of program data, results, contacts, and operational details
- ensure programs and projects are implemented using best practices to a high standard and evaluated appropriately
- recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers to extend and enhance program goals and reach other exciting and supportive tasks as required
- work with a growing, passionate team committed to urban agriculture and food literacy
- be part of the thriving food security and urban agriculture movement
- build extensive knowledge of organic gardening and seed saving
- practice sound program and project management principles
- work with stakeholders and clients, utilizing strong communication and conflict resolution skills
- develop strong oral and written communications skills including report writing, both in text and visual formats
- understand and use relevant municipal environmental laws and regulations
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a relevant field, such as Land and Food Systems, Sustainable Agriculture, Environmental Science, Horticulture, or Environmental Geography
- Solid working knowledge of organic gardening principles, food security, urban agriculture, food gardening, seed saving, and sustainability
- Vehicle access is required occasionally (26 days/ month) in order to transport supplies to events, and travel to garden sites. Mileage will be reimbursed. Use of car sharing possible
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated experience leading community based programs
- Have or ability to get: criminal record check with vulnerable sector search, Emergency First Aid
- Tech savvy, and proficient in wordprocessing, databases, email
- Ability to speak Chinese (either Mandarin or Cantonese) a strong asset
This position may be dependant on a wage subsidy and applicants who meet this criteria may be prioritized. Please indicate how you do or do not meet the following in your cover letter:
- be under 30 years of age
- have completed a science based degree (4 year) or diploma (2 year)
be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant)
- available to work full time (min. 35 hours/ week)
- be unemployed or underemployed (working part time, on contract or in a field that does not match your area of study)
- have not participated in a federally funded youth employment program
This position will start based primarily out of the RFSS office in gorgeous and centrally located Paulik Park, Richmond. Travel around Richmond will be required for meetings, programs, and events.
- Application deadline: May 22, 2017 or until role is filled. Early applications encouraged.
- Start date: June 2017
- Pay: starting at $17.00/hour + annual increases + 3 weeks annual vacation + 10 annual wellness days
- Hours: 35 hours per week, full time permanent. Hours are typically between MonFri 95, though up to 10 evenings and up to 10 weekends are required per year for programs and events. Some work from home is possible (laptop provided), as are flexible hours.
Please feel welcome to reach out in advance of applying to ask any clarifying questions.
In order to apply, email Anita Georgy, Executive Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
When Applying, Please:
- use the subject line ‘Program Coordinator Internship’
send one pdf file containing both your cover letter and resume
- use the file name First Name Last Name Program Coordinator’
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.