Hill House Farm is looking for a qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable gardener to oversee small-scale production of food and flowers and do yard maintenance, starting June 5th. This seasonal position generally begins in March with seed starting and continues through harvest, with hours increasing to 20-30 hours per week as the growing season gets into full gear.
The Garden Manager will work closely with the property owner to set goals, plan, assign tasks, and prioritize. In addition to at least 2 years of paid garden work, the applicant must have excellent verbal communication and organizing skills, familiarity with permaculture principles, and must be 100% reliable.
The right applicant will be able to work independently and autonomously, and be comfortable working on their own.
There is some housekeeping work available for the airbnb, that would ensure 30 hours per week during spring, summer, and fall, as well as off-season housekeeping work. Please tell us in your cover letter if you are interested in these options.
Must be available to start June 5th
- Assist with garden planning
- Assist with seed selection and ordering
- Manage seed starting and seedling maintenance (including watering, heating, and trans-potting)
- Prepare beds for transplanting (weed removal, soil amendments, mulching)
- Direct sow and transplant seedlings
- Weed and pest management
- Harvest and food preservation
- Minimum 2 years paid work in food production/edible gardening
- Dedication to Permaculture principles
- Excellent verbal communication
- Organized and detail oriented
- Experience working with volunteers and/or interns
- Computer and internet literacy