Lockwood Farms is looking to hire a strapping lad or lass who knows how to swing an axe! We’re looking for that ‘farm kid’, who gets dirty to get a job done.
The work will include, but is not limited to: seeding, weeding, planting, constructing crop supports and covers, installing irrigation, tractor driving, ploughing, rototilling, light excavation, cleaning and organizing work areas, mucking out, power washing and disinfecting, feeding chickens, installing chicken equipment, collecting eggs, following and implementing bio-security measures, harvesting, prepping for market, egg washing and grading, and serving customers who arrive on the farm.
40hrs a week.
- Initiative: knowing how to get the job done. You are the sort o person who sees something that needs fixing, and you go and pull out your tools and fix it.
- Efficiency: You like to focus and get on with your work, you can complete a job quickly.
- Sensible: You take safety seriously, your mom doesn’t need to tell you to wear ear and eye protection.
- You love the smell of chicken crap: That’s how we know you love farming as much as we do!
- Farming or trades experience – Please provide three references related to this area, we will call them!
- Clean Criminal Record Check – We have kids and international volunteers around here.
- Driver’s Licences – If you need a part, or we need to get feed, you can go pick it up.
- Preference will be given to an applicants who have an EI claim in the last 3 years, Parental claim in the last 5 years, OR is between the ages of 15-29 and is not in an educational program, or has an EI claim (Employment subsidies depend on these factors).
- Decent pay
- Work out-doors with your hands
- Work with a family, and many young international volunteers. The work environment is continually changing from co-workers to seasons.
- Opportunity to learn about all aspects of farming, we are a great place to launch your farming career.
About Lockwood Farms
Lockwood Farms produces eggs and vegetable (primarily salad greens), and some broiler chickens. Our products are sold through farmer’s markets in the Cowichan Valley and Victoria area, and through a wholesale network that we have developed. Our produce is organically grown (not certified), and our focus is on efficiency and higher production while not comprising our values of sustainability, organic practices and animal welfare.
Lockwood Farms is primarily run by James, Barry and Cammy Lockwood.
Please send a resume and cover letter, or any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cammy Lockwood, Farmer’s Wife.