Do you have an interest ecological agriculture & greenhouse production?Join the team at Ignatius Farm in Guelph, Ontario this season!
ABOUT IGNATIUS FARM
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic vegetables and berries for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers markets, local businesses and service agencies. The Farm’s programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and several annual community events. The Indoor Production Associate will grow and market seedlings, microgreens, in-ground greenhouse crops as well as field crops.
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not for profit charity situated on 600 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just outside of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm, the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest, St Brigid’s Villa and Orchard Park Office Centre.
Ignatius Farm is looking for passionate, imaginative, eco-minded individuals to help us care for the Ignatius organic farm. You will help build the Ignatius Farm vision of developing local food systems, innovative greenhouse production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and education programs.
- Background knowledge and/or interest in gardening, ecological agriculture, greenhouse production, use of hand tools and basic equipment, local food systems
- Commitment to Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, and building community.
- Assets: Valid G class drivers licence, First Aid/CPR
- Grow, harvest & distribute quality organic vegetables, indoor and outdoor
- Work with and set pace for field teams of interns, volunteers, field workers, and external groups
- Production activities within priority area of Indoor Production include:
- seedling, microgreen & in-ground production
- soil fertility management and irrigation
- greenhouse maintenance; equipment & infrastructure maintenance
- production records, variety trials, documenting successful practices & lessons learned
- supporting implementation of indoor growing training modules
- Spearhead a Saturday Farmers Market booth (5:30am-2:30pm) beginning mid-May
Job Type: Contract – immediately through August 31, 2018
Application Deadline: Monday, April 23, 2018
Start Date: May 7, 2018, or as soon as contract is signed
Hours/Week: 30 hours per week average
Ontario Job Creation Partnerships (OJCP) are funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. The OJCP program is not a “training” program, but a short-term work experience opportunity, where participants receive income support.
Submit your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Your letter of interest must specify that you meet all of the following funding eligibility criteria. ONTARIO JOB CREATION PARTNERSHIP To be eligible to apply to this program, applicants must be:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Currently in receipt of EI benefits, OR able to establish an EI benefits claim prior to beginning a JCP position, OR have completed an EI claim within the past 36 months, OR began a maternity or parental claim within the past 60 months;
- Be unemployed, or working part-time (less than 20 hours per week);
- In need of the work experience that will be gained through the OJCP position they’re interested in, where this experience will improve their prospects for securing full-time work in their field of interest & expertise