Fre-Da-Ro Farm is a certified organic farm focusing on ethical and natural mean to raise lamb, beef, chicken, turkeys, eggs, and ancient grains for organic markets. The farm is 167 acres and is located on the beautiful Shuswap River in the North Okanagan community of Enderby.
Owner Willem Roell has been farming in this location for over 40 years, focusing strongly on organic farming for the last 17 of those years. Willem is a strong advocate for organic farming, agriculture and livestock. He has been instrumental in developing a vision and bringing methods and infrastructure of organic farming to B.C.
Most recently the farm has been opened up for farm tours. Interested individuals can come and tour the farm and learn about organic farming; either through a group excursion or via a self-guided walking tour.
Farm Job: Fre-Da-Ro Farm is seeking a motivated farm worker with some farm experience to join their team. This is a unique experience and includes a potential family home to rent as well as an opportunity to farm up to 4 acres of organic land with support and mentoring from the farm owner.
Position Type: F/T farm worker
Location: Enderby B.C.
Duration: Permanent position for the right individual
Looking for an enthusiastic and eager individual to join the team on an organic farm in the beautiful North Okanagan. The job includes daily activities as well as a unique project; the farm has been opened to the public for farm tours and the successful candidate will help with all preparation for and the daily running of the tours.
Daily duties include:
- Feeding animals (sheep & chickens, a few cats and farm dogs)
- Animal handling – move/sort animals, clean stalls, moving to pasture, etc.
- Daily egg collection, cleaning, boxing and labeling
- Provide support during lambing season
- Tractor work as required; field work, barn cleanup, snow removal
- General farm yard cleanup as required; maintenance of lanes, lawns and flowers/shrubs
Project duties – work with the farm owner to prepare the business for farm tours:
- Build & maintain trails
- Build & maintain fences and gates
- Develop signage for features
- Build marketing materials/brochures/advertising
- Develop & maintain a farm store
- Assist with farm and yard cleanup as required, as well as building maintenance
- Prior experience working with animals
- Must have a valid driver’s license – experience with tractors and equipment required
- Strong computer skills – must be able to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as various web tools
- Prior experience in agri-tourism or a tourism related field considered an asset
- Must be flexible; work load will vary depending on the season and may include additional hours during key periods
- Must be able to work with the public; excellent communication skills
- Experience with point-of-sale transactions, both cash and automated
- Must be able to handle physical requirements of the job; job will include heavy lifting, minor construction, etc.
- Must be a self-starter; can manage multiple priorities and require minimal supervision
- Must be enthusiastic about organic and sustainable farming
There is a 3-bedroom modular home available on the farm with a spacious yard and garden space. The home would be made available for rent to a successful candidate after the completion of a 3-month probationary period, and would be a wonderful way to be fully immersed in farm life.
The farm owner, Willem, is excited to promote and encourage young farmers and has available land. Up to 4 acres of certified organic land could be made available for development of a farm/garden plot for supplying local farmers markets. Coaching and mentoring would also be available as required.
The farm contains endless possibilities for an ambitious young farmer! Families are welcome, however employment will be provided for a single individual only.
Probation Period: 3 months
Schedule: 40 hours/week – variable schedule depending on seasonal activities
How to Apply:
Please mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include why you would like to work for Fre-Da-Ro Farm, areas of expertise and any questions you may have.