The Edible Garden Project is seeking a farmer to manage two abundant edible gardens in Vancouver at Loutet Farm and Sutherland Market Garden!
ABOUT THE EDIBLE GARDEN PROJECT
We have 2 urban farms : Loutet Farm and Sutherland Market Garden. Please visit www.ediblegardenproject.com for more details.
The Farm Team will be responsible for all farm operations and Sharing Gardens growing support. Loutet Farm and the Sutherland Schoolyard Market Garden strive to reach financial self-sufficiency while serving as models of local sustainable food production and providing hands-on learning opportunities to the community. The Farmer reports to the EGP Program Manager and will coordinate the Farm Team, while working collaboratively with the EGP Team. The Farmer will work up to 40 hours per week to develop, coordinate, supervise and promote farm activities. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about food security and environmental sustainability initiatives.
Learn more about the Edible Garden Project on:
Instgram & Twitter: @the_egp
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years experience in a mixed vegetable direct market farm enterprise
- 1+ years experience in customer service, cash handling, or running farm market sales
- 1+ years experience supervising or coordinating groups of 2-20 volunteers
- Excellent communication skills, and a great team player
- Ability to work long hours and maintain a flexible schedule (weekend and evening work required May -October)
- Ability to bend, squat and lift up to 50+ lbs safely
- Reasonable proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Google Drive, Gmail, and ability to track data
- You will require access to a vehicle and the flexibility to work weekends and some evenings
- Reasonable proficiency using power drills, saws, and basic construction tools
- 2+ years experience working in a non-profit environment or social enterprise
- 2+ years experience in outdoor/experiential education
- FoodSafe Certification
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Apiary certification
- First aid certificate
- Day to day management of the farms operations
- Crop planning, implementation and maintenance
- Coordinate harvest and sale of produce
- Track farm sales and revenue
- Maintain accurate records of farm activities
- Maintain, develop and/or improve the site to the standards defined by the City of North Vancouver and School District #44 in License to Use agreements
- Coordinate Farmhand, Volunteer Farm Interns, and community volunteers
- Coordinate farm specific volunteer programs and tours (Market volunteers, Volunteer Farm internship, Harvest drop-in)
- Coordinate with Edible Garden Project staff community volunteers, events and programs that take place on the farm
- Maintain and build relationships with community partners (ie. Maplewood Farm, restaurant and retail, community neighbors, Sutherland/School District staff, City of North Vancouver staff, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
Start date: ASAP – March 7th
Hours: 30-40hrs/week, depending on season
Wage: $20 per hour. Farm Coordinator position will be an employee position with benefits.
To submit your application: Email subject line: FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_Farmer Cover Letter and Resume: Please send as One PDF document, 3 page maximum (1 page cover letter, 2 page resume) with this file name: FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_Farmer Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only successful applicants will be contacted for interviews. Thank you and good luck!