Interested in diversified farming, and community living on Vancouver Island? Glenora Farm is seeking a farm manager immediately for their 97 acre mixed Biodynamic farm.
About Glenora Farm
Glenora Farm is 97 acre mixed Biodynamic farm on mostly sandy loam soils, consisting of 35 acres of pasture and hay fields, a herd of East Friesen milking sheep, a herd of Dexter beef cattle, a 3 acre intensive mixed vegetable and perennial berry garden, 2 hoophouses, large compost facility, a large herb garden, and an extensive onsite workshop program which adds value to the garden produce through processing agricultural products for sale as crafts and quality foods.
Glenora Farm is located 6km outside of Duncan, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The Farm is owned and operated by the Ita Wegman Association of British Columbia for Curative Education and Social Therapy and is one of two Camphill Communities in Western Canada, where adults with developmental disabilities live, work and learn together with their caregivers. Glenora Farm primarily serves the food needs of this onsite community of over 50 people including adults with developmental challenges and their caregivers living and working on the farm. We also deliver farm products to an extended network of supporters through our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program that provides fresh vegetables, meat and dairy products to subscribers each week of the main growing season.
Glenora Farm owns a rural corner store and cafe (Glenora Farm Store and Café) where we market our farm products. We round out our marketing with sales to a few local grocery stores and restaurants. Field cultivation, haying and other work is done with the help of three tractors and various implements.
Learn more at: http://www.glenorafarm.org
- Self-motivated, highly adaptable, able to help out wherever needed in a busy team environment
- Strong organizational skills, able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Able to work efficiently for long hours in any weather and bring tasks to completion under tight deadlines
- Must by physically fit and enjoy hard work outdoors
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with tact as a representative of Glenora Farm
- Practical general farming or gardening experience
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills
- Good mechanical aptitude, familiarity with farm equipment, and basic construction skills and asset
- Experience with biodynamic farming and/or Canadian Organic standards an asset
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience working or living with adults with developmental disabilities an asset; desire to work with these folks, a must!
- Experience living and working intensively in community living settings
- managing ~35 acres of onsite and 17 offsite acres of pasture and hay fields, and care of farm animals (currently sheep and cattle,) and livestock facilities,
- designing and implementing a pasture fertility program,
- designing and implementing a rotational grazing scheme
- potential for growing our small herd of beef cattle in accordance with our land’s natural stocking limits,
- potential for building up a sheep dairy and orchard.
- managing our compost (~1200m3 windrows of horse manure)
- assisting the Garden Manager with vegetable garden tasks
- assisting the Forest Manager with forestry tasks – coordinate with other community members around use of shared tools and resources
Start date: as soon as possible
Duration: full-time, permanent
Hours/week: approximately 40 hours/week, seasonally flexible
Wage: Compensation package to be worked out in conjunction with community, but includes room and board (in a separate house that can accommodate a single person, couple, or small family), modest monthly personal and food stipends, MSP (provincial health) coverage, dental benefits, holiday fund, use of shared vehicles.
Interested applicants can submit a letter of interest and a resume to Lucinde Metcalfe email@example.com