Thanks to all who applied! This position has been filled!
ABOUT EARTHWISE SOCIETY
Earthwise Society is a not for profit, charitable organization that has been a leader in community-based environmental education for over 30 years. The Society has recently acquired property in Agassiz BC, and plans to create a demonstration garden of sustainable landscape practices and an organic teaching farm to serve the Agassiz – Harrison region.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is a summer student position: applicants must be a current, full-time student who will be returning to high school, college or university in the fall of 2018.
Earthwise has an exciting opportunities for a summer student who would like to be involved in our organic farm. Reporting to the Agassiz Caretaker, the Summer Student Farm Assistants will help us get started and maintain different aspects of the farm. If you are interested in the environment, sustainability or agriculture, this is an opportunity for you to gain experience in these areas while contributing to the community.
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative, work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside.
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident (Service Canada requirement).
- Assist with bed and field preparation, soil amendment and planting farm and garden areas.
- Help set up and maintain composting systems.
- Assist with setting up irrigation systems and ensuring regular watering of planted areas.
- As part of a team, participate in field maintenance.
- Assist with crop harvest, and post-harvest handling of crops.
- Participate in community outreach events, including Agassiz Farmer’s Market.
- Assist with volunteer and community engagement activities.
- Help develop and maintain riparian areas.
- Participate in welcoming and educating visitors to the farm.
Two positions are available:
- June 18th-August 12th
- July 9th-September 2nd
Hours: This position is for 30 hours per week for 8 weeks.
Wage: $12.65 per hour.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.