ABOUT THE FARM
Shady Acre Farm is a small-scale farm in Richmond B.C. Started in 2015, the farm focuses on small-scale, mixed vegetables grown in a way that is sustainable for the earth, the farmers, and the community, following organic practices and growing a wide variety of produce.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This farm would be ideal for someone who wants to start a small farm business. The business would be best suited to summer growing with a smaller variety of crops or niche crops, and the existing infrastructure and customer base will provide someone with a foundation on which to build.
The ideal business transfer would occur in October 2018, so that the new occupant could have the opportunity to prep the field for the 2019 season (bed making, garlic planting, cover cropping, etc.). The current farmer is open to negotiation for a slower transition, which could include shared work for the 2019 season, if that is preferred.
Shady Acre Farm Details:
Land size: approximately 0.75 acres
Housing: no housing is available on-site, although connections may be made with neighbours for housing.
Lease: $2500/year; includes water (for first year – property has recently been metered, but no increase to the lessee with year 1), access to tractor, and other substantial benefits in terms of equipment and support from landowner
- 90’x30’ Poly greenhouse with landscape fabric ground cover – new greenhouse poly 2017
- Municipal water access (fee may be added in year 2)
- On-site parking
- Covered area for packing/washing, including indoor storage area
- Access to tractor services with 8’ tiller (operated by landlord, free of charge)
- 4 years of vegetable production using organic methods, including soil and drainage improvements
- Relationship with neighbouring farm that has included regular egg shares and equipment sharing
- Electricity is available on part of the property, approx. 50m from the farming site
Online and Social Media
- Established website with domain and hosting paid until 2022
- Established Instagram and Facebook pages and followers
- Mailchimp list and newsletter templates
Marketing and Clientele
- Relationships established with Vancouver Farmers’ Markets and the Westside Community Food Market
- E-mail list including past CSA members and occasional buyers
- Relationships with 2 local breweries
- Jang seeder, rollers
- Wheel hoe
- Backpack sprayer
- Flame weeder
- Electric hand saw
- All necessary irrigation equipment, including drip tape for entire field, timers, sprinkler heads
- Hand tools including hoes, rakes, shovels, harvest tools, etc
- Market equipment, including tent, signs, tables, baskets, etc
- Packing/Delivery equipment including Rubbermaid totes, black crates, elastics, plastic bags, etc
- Industrial salad spinner
- Professional scale
- Seedling greenhouse that can be moved to a different location
- 2004 Chevy Astro cargo van, branded
GET IN TOUCH
Contact Karly for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org.