Job Postings for Cowichan Green Community in this post:
- Seed Incubator Farm Partcipants
- Cow-Op.ca Market Assistant Summer Student
The Cowichan Green Community is a not-for-profit, community based environmental and food-security organisation in Duncan, BC. Our food security projects include the creation of food policy documents such as the Cowichan Food Charter and the Cowichan Food Security Plan, projects like Kin Park Youth Urban Farm, FruitSave – a fruit gleaning project – the Buy Local! Buy Fresh! Farm Food Map, and community gardens. We also offer educational workshops, events and organize Duncan’s annual Seedy Saturdays/Sundays to promote the role of rural and urban agriculture in our community’s resilience and sustainability.
Applicants must meet eligibility requirements.
The Cowichan Green Community is establishing the first of its kind Seed Incubator Farm. The farm will serve as a centre for education, training, and seed saving for new and experienced farmers, as well as the general public. The goal is to address the critical shortfall in supply of organic, regionally adapted and open-source seed. This position will report directly to the Incubator Farm Supervisor and will assist in the set up and operation of the project. This position will help to co-ordinate all the activities related to project and will be a full time, contract position from May 16th to December 16th. This position will work on a contract basis of 35 hrs/week with occasional evenings and weekends; remuneration is based on Employment Insurance amounts and will be dependent on each applicant’s situation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with setting up outbuildings, preparing land and soil, mulching, fencing, irrigation, etc.;
- Assist with seeding, planting, harvesting, and marketing all farm products;
- Assist with supervising any volunteers including mentorship and feedback;
- Assist with marketing and promoting the farm;
- Assist with planning, organising and implementing all project deliverables including design and installation and final incubator farm hand book
- Skills and knowledge in gardening, farming, and permaculture practises;
- Certificate/diploma from a recognised permaculture and/or horticulture training facility is an asset;
- Marketing and small business skills and experience;
- Workable knowledge of Word, Excel and the Internet;
- Two or more years of work at a community non-profit or organisation
- Current Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, or
- EI claim ended within the last three years, or
- EI for maternity or parental benefits within the last five years
Please submit applications for the Seed Incubator Farm Position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cow-Op.ca Market Assistant Summer Student
The Cowichan Valley Co-operative Marketplace (CVCM) is a not-for-profit co-operative that allows local food lovers to shop direct from local farms and other food producers online every week. This is a full-time position for 16 weeks between May and August 35 hrs/wk. Occasional weekends. Pending funding approval.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Producer/Member/Customer Web Training and Support
- Assist to provide initial training and ongoing support to producers and customers on how to use Cow-Op.ca;
- Assist to ensure all new producers complete and maintain their online listing page and inventory is up to date.
- Communications and Promotion
- Represent the CVCM and Cow-Op.ca at special events, building positive community relations and recruiting new customer;
- Visit restaurants and other wholesale purchasers to introduce them to the website and develop partnerships;
- Communicate respectfully with producers, purchasers, board members, sponsors, and others.
- Develop and Implement a Promotions Program
- Initiate media stories on The Cow-Op;
- Assist with the interview and writing of a regular Farmer profile story;
- Maintain an active and engaging social media presence;
- Work with Joomla newsletter templates for weekly reminder;
- Create regular updates on social media;
- Interview, photograph and/or film local food producers and write monthly seller profile article.
- Assist with Market Day Duties
- Receive, weigh and store farm products;
- Pack orders for customers to pick up.
- Current Foodsafe and/or Marketsafe certification, or a willingness to obtain
- Strong computer and technical skills
- Ability to lift approximately 50lbs
- Must be returning to school in Sept
- Interest and passion for local food sustainability and farm viability
- Able to communicate well, both written and orally
- Attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with social media and website maintenance
Please submit applications for the Market Assistant Summer Student to email@example.com