*** This position is now filled! For other farm apprenticeship opportunities, please see our farm job blog. ***
10 Acres Farm is seeking one highly motivated, positive, hardy apprentice to help our farm team with all aspects of field-to-table food raising on this unique restaurant-owned, transitional to organic farm.
A 10 acre mixed veggie-fruit-livestock farm located on the Saanich peninsula, Vancouver Island, BC. The small orchard includes plums, cherries, quinces, figs, persimmons, lemons, limes, apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, and apricots. There are also table grapes, black currants, blueberries, marionberries, loganberries, kiwis, strawberries and raspberries. The livestock plan for 2017 includes honey bee hives, flock of laying ducks, pastured turkeys, pastured pigs, pastured ducks, and dwarf goats. The mixed field crops are grown on 1.5 acres and include mixed veggies, herbs, hoophouse and greenhouse, asparagus crowns, and cut flowers. All food raised goes directly to the restaurant and we process all restaurant food waste on farm for compost
We’re on a gentle, sheltered north-facing slope, surrounded by trees and other small acreages with an ever-changing view of Mt. Tuam on Saltspring Island. Within walking distance (less than 2km) are many kilometres of hiking trails through John Dean Provincial Park, ocean (Coles Bay), Panorama Rec centre, The Roost Farm bakery, and public transit stops to Victoria. Within easy cycling distance (less than 6km) are Sidney and Saanichton, two little towns that provide most daily amenities (groceries, post office, coffee shops, drug stores, hardware, public library, doctors etc.). We’re 22Km from Victoria and between here and there are many small bays, beaches, and inlets, a vibrant sustainable farm community, an extensive network of rural bike lanes, music events, and lots of natural beauty to explore.
The Job Description
Apprentices will work and learn alongside a farm team of 4. You’ll participate in most aspects of food raising on the farm including:
- Maintaining a clean and aesthetically pleasing farm appearance,
- Field prep, amendment application, transplanting, irrigation installation, harvest, post-harvest processing
- Various field and orchard tasks including weeding, mulching, clearing beds, cutting grass, weed wacking
- Livestock breeding and care (feeding, watering, managing herd/flock health, other daily tasks)
- Rotational pasture and perimeter fence setup, maintenance, and repair
- Small and large machinery and tool operation
- Working with compost processing and applying compost tea with a backpack sprayer
- Infrastructure and tool maintenance, repair and improvements
- Field and sales record keeping and data entry,
- Supply runs, and other farm tasks as needed
- Prior farm-related work experience a must
- Must be physically fit and capable of hard physical work outdoors in all weather (frost, rain, wind, heat) for long hours
- Experience driving larger vehicles or driving with a trailer
- Excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to balance efficiency and thoroughness in all tasks
- Attention to detail, cleanliness, and good aesthetic sense
- Highly self-motivated, positive attitude, adaptable, organized
- Ability to work calmly, prioritize tasks, and complete them under tight deadlines
- Ability to work well alone and in a team
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with sometimes limited supervision
- Willingness to bring livestock animals to slaughter
- Basic experience with mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical work an asset
- Family-friendly: respectful neighbours, comfortable with young children and dogs present on site
- Respectful roommate: can peacefully co-exist in shared living space with other apprentices
- Can be present on site 1 of every 5 weekends for rotating livestock chores
- Valid Drivers’ licence a must
Semi-separate housing with wifi (no phone land line), full kitchen (sink, stove, oven, fridge, basic utensils etc.), bed. Bathroom, shower and laundry are located in adjoining farm cottage, separated from main living space by a door.
In season farm veggies.. Basic staples and meal preparation are apprentices’ responsibility. .
Roughly 8 hours/day, 5 days/week (more in summer, less in off-season), with some off-hours work required for rotating animal care duties 1 of every 5 weeks. Early mornings required during summer months.
6 or 12 months. Either term begins April 2017
Who can apply
Individuals with minimum 1 season of farm work experience.
Pending funding approval, funder stipulations may require that preference be given to candidates who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Under 30 years of age
- Canadian Citizen
- Graduated within last 3 years from a degree program in or related to agriculture, plant biology etc.
How to Apply
Applications are welcomed until Friday, March 10, 2015. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted and invited to tour the farm. Please send a resume and cover letter with your contact information included and indication of whether you meet the 3 funding eligibility criteria listed above to 10 Acres Team–> Email : email@example.com OR by mail: 1402 McTavish Road, North Saanich, BC, V8L 5T3.